It’s a fact of life that in order for authors to write new books, they have to do things like eat, pay bills, fix the computer, etc. And that means they have to sell books.
Another fact of life is that unless you’re a top level author (think Stephen King and James Patterson) most publishers do NOT help much to sell your book. Many do not help at all.
It’s a very big job to write stories AND promote them. I’ve tried cloning myself, but so far, no luck. And hubby assures me there’s no money in the budget to hire an army of marketers. Not even if they’re zombies…
Like most authors, I need a hand from my wonderful readers.
The single most effective way of promoting a book or an author is by word of mouth – and that includes internet buzz. So what I’m asking of you is to SHARE in whatever way you’re comfortable, and to HAVE FUN doing it.
NOTE -anyone, whether they’re officially on my Street Team or not, can lend a hand to get the word out about my stories. Check the list at the bottom of this page for some things you can do.
DANI’S STREET TEAM:
STREET TEAM MEMBER EXPECTATIONS
There are no actual streets involved! No bookstores. And no face-to-face. You don’t have to talk to strangers – unless, of course, you want to! No grave-digging, no vamp-staking, no sign-carrying, or any other hard work. It’s mostly just simple sharing in some of the ways listed at the bottom of the page.
There are only 3 rules!
RULE NUMBER ONE – Oh, behave!
Darklings are true to themselves. It’s all about being honest, kind, and considerate.
• Don’t leave a five-star review if you didn’t like the book.
• Don’t attend a chat or a party for another author and start talking about my stories.
• Don’t overshare my posts and tweets with your social media friends – once or twice a week is plenty!
Remember we are Darklings, not Dorklings!
Troll-like behavior will not be tolerated. Members who bash other authors, insult reviewers or readers they disagree with, start arguments with commenters on ANY site, behave rudely to other members, or post spam, will be removed from the group without notice and fed to the nearest Bwgan monster….
RULE NUMBER TWO – Come have fun with us!
We DO need to see you on the Dani’s Darklings Facebook Group Page regularly (you’ll be able to see the actual posts once we’ve added you to the member list) and you need to receive notifications from it. Even if you just whiz by and “like” something, it lets us know you’re still alive and interested.
RULE NUMBER THREE – Keep up on the latest
Yup, you MUST subscribe to my newsletter, which lists upcoming events and giveaways I’m participating in. If you have not subscribed on your own, your email will be added to the list. PS – yes, my team members are eligible to enter EVERY ONE of my giveaways, as long as it’s open to the country they live in. (Most of them are open to US, UK, and Canada, but once in a rare while, it’s US only.)
If you don’t participate for more than two months (ie, not visiting the Darkling Facebook Group or receiving its notifications, not opening newsletters, not sharing any of my posts — and yup, I really do have programs that check on this stuff — then your spot will automatically go to someone else. (You can reapply at a later date if you want to.)
PS – YES, YOU CAN LEAVE THE GROUP (hey, we’re not a cult!)
- If you find that it’s really not for you, or you discover that you’re too busy right now (and we’ve all been there), you can leave the group at any time. You don’t have to explain, just shoot me a message or take your name off the member list of our FB group page yourself. You can reapply later if you want to.
If you’ve made it this far, and you’d still like to join,
please fill out the form below.
IDEAS FOR SPREADING THE WORD:
Anyone, whether they’re officially on my Street Team or not, can lend a hand to get the word out about my stories.
- If you’ve enjoyed one of my books, and are comfortable doing so, write a review. It doesn’t have to be more than a sentence or two – just say how it made you feel. Post your review on Amazon, on Goodreads, on your blog, on Facebook, or anywhere that supports books and authors (you don’t have to write a different one for each site). It is a fact that the more reviews a book has, the more exposure it receives on sites like Amazon. So every review helps!
- ‘Like’ my books (both paperback versions and Kindle versions) on Amazon, or on Barnes & Noble, or wherever you find them. The more “likes” a book gets, the greater the chance that readers will see it, according to the way Amazon and other sites rank books. Make sure the story is on your “read” or “want to read” lists on Goodreads.
- Word of mouth is still the number one way to promote a book. Did you like one of my books? Share that with your friends. Mention it in your reader groups. Tell your Twitter pals, blog readers, Facebook friends, your dog groomer, the UPS guy, anyone you think might truly be interested. Tell them to look for me on Amazon, or just plain Google me.
- See me on social media? Consider sharing or retweeting my book news, giveaways, silly memes, daily fantasy pic, or whatever appeals to you. (No, you don’t have to share everything!)
- Drop by and visit me when I’m guest blogging, or in a chat, or participating in some other event. It’s nice to see a friendly face – even a virtual one. Leave a comment if you can.
- Have a blog? Please consider interviewing me, asking me for a guest post, inviting me to your hops or other events, sharing my cover and/or blurb, or displaying one of my buttons with a link to my website, http://www.daniharper.com